Going through a divorce is hard not just on the two parties involved, but on their children if they have any, on the rest of their family, and on their friends and everyone around them as well. A divorce can also be legally tricky and confusing, and you may not know where to start or who to turn to. If this describes the situation that you’re currently in, then we at The Law Offices of Stuart E. Williams have some tips for you on when you should hire a divorce attorney.
When you should hire a divorce attorney
- If your partner is known to act violently against you or your child
- If there is a history of domestic violence between you and your partner
- If there is a history of your partner abusing your child
- If there is a history of substance abuse or sexual abuse
- Or when there is any kind of power imbalance between the two parties filing for a divorce
If you do indeed determine that hiring a divorce attorney is best for your situation, then here are some tips on how to go about hiring the best divorce attorney for your unique case.
How to hire the right divorce attorney
- Pick an attorney who is experienced and has handled many divorce cases before
- Determine how many divorce cases they’ve been successful at settling
- Ask if they know your spouse or your spouse’s attorney
- Is the attorney familiar with the local family court judges
- Do they have experience negotiating financial support settlements
- How heavy is their caseload and how often can they be contacted
- What is their retainer fee and hourly rate
- What contracts will you need to sign
- What other costs should you be aware of
We hope these lists made it clearer to you on when it is a good idea to hire a divorce attorney and what questions you should ask a divorce attorney before you hire one. If you have any further questions, please contact us!